Adele Park's Review of The Confession by John Grisham



I recently had the pleasure of listening to The Confession by John Grisham as an audio book. The story is about a young, African American man named Donte Drumm who has been wrongly convicted of raping and killing a classmate. Drumm is facing execution by lethal injection in Texas when the real killer steps forward and confesses the crime to a minister.


The race to justice is thwarted by a number of nefarious characters within the criminal justice system. Drumm is eventually executed and the city he lives in erupts into chaos. At times, this audio book actually made me cry. Part of this is due to my own frustration with corruption within the judicial system, and part is due to Grisham's ability to connect with me through his stories.

I was surprised when I read the Publishers Weekly review of The Confession which really roasted this story. The review talked about Grisham's “slump” which I've been unaware of. It also called the plot of The Confession “subpar.” Everyone is certainly entitled to their opinion, but I strongly disagree with this one http://www.publishersweekly.com/978-0-385-52804-7

Not only was Grisham able to get me to really care about the characters in The Confession, but I found the plot to be interesting and exciting. Grisham also finds a way to make some important points about the flaws in execution system, noting that innocent people are sometimes wrongly killed.

The Confession is narrated by Scott Sowers who has an amazing career in film and live theatre. I was impressed by how Sowers was able to give voice to such a wide range of characters with different ethnicities and backgrounds. To learn more about Sowers, check out his website: http://www.scottsowers.com/

I have awarded The Confession 4 our to 5 stars on my Goodreads page. If this work is a “slump” for Grisham, I can't wait to hear what he's up to on a good day! https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/4673038.Adele_Park

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cleaning for a Reason

Celebrating the Winter Solstice

Support for Students