I have been a longtime fan of Nelson DeMille's novels so I was thrilled when I stumbled across a work I wasn't aware of. I unearthed The Quest in audiobook form at a garage sale. Anticipating another captivating story, I quickly popped this into my cd player. Looking back, I see that I didn't need to rush on this one http://www.nelsondemille.net/books/quest.asp?id=desc

Unlike some of DeMille's other stories that moved at lightening speed, The Quest seemed like it was slogging through molassas. Indeed, when looking at the Amazon review for this, I see that DeMille reworked an earlier version of this, doubling the length of the story. I think this was my big problem with The Quest – it's way too long.

The story is about two male reporters and a female photographer who both men are romantically involved with. I have no problem with stories that involve strange relationships with conscenting adults, but this particular scenario made me a little uncomfortable.

The love triangle in this story travels to Ethiopia in search of The Black Monastary and The Holy Grail. Typically, this set up would have fascinated me, but the trip to find The Black Monastary dragged on so long I lost interest. When the group finally found what they were looking for, the story wrapped up so quickly it left me thinking, “why rush the good part?”

DeMille is such a good writer that I won't let this particular work deter me from reading his other books

However, when it comes to The Quest, I am only awarding this project two stars on my Goodreads Page https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/4673038.Adele_Park

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cleaning for a Reason

Celebrating the Winter Solstice

Support for Students