Jump Start Your Novel



Writing novels is a long, lonely process. It's easy to feel discouraged, isolated and frustrated. I should know because I'm currently trying to hammer out the manuscript for my next audio book. In an attempt to increase my level of enthusiasm, I jump started the process by scheduling a work session with Cindy Clemens, a life coach, writer and motivational speaker. I gained a lot of useful tips from our meeting, a few of which I'd like to share with other writers who might also benefit from them.

For starters, Cindy recommended I set a time limit for when I'd like to have my manuscript completed. Things tend to get done quicker if there is a deadline. I calculated what steps needed to be taken, careful not to overwhelm myself with unrealistic goals. Cindy suggested I dedicate a specific time to write each day, keeping that period “sacred” and free of distractions.

I have a tendency to feel guilty when I don't live up to my own expectations. Sometimes, life has a way of way of sidetracking even the most noble of endeavors. But rather than beat myself up about it, Cindy offered a better approach: measure the progress I make rather than focus on what didn't happen. As a tool, Cindy provided me with a blank calendar and suggested I award myself a gold star each day I worked on my novel.

To my happy amazement, I quickly grew addicted to those gold stars. I can't bear the thought of leaving even one day on my calendar “star-less.” Following Cindy's advice to set “do-able” goals, I've found myself taking great pleasure in exceeding them.

I'm not suggesting that a few gold stars will eliminate the hard work that goes into writing a novel, or in my case, an audio book. However, by shifting my attitude from one which focuses shortcomings to one that celebrates accomplishments, my outlook and productivity have greatly improved.

To stay inspired throughout the week, I followed another one of Cindy's tips and signed up for a free Note from the Universe http://www.tut.com/. These notes are custom tailored to fit each reader and I look forward to reading them. Here is the note I received today:

Being in the right place at the right time, Adele Park, isn't something you can force.
It just happens when you keep busy. Effortlessly.
Imagine that,
The Universe
No, really! Imagine that, Adele Park! And then get busy because AMAZING awaits!

If you'd like to learn how to get more out of you efforts or how to launch a whole new dream, Cindy is available for virtual life coaching sessions http://cindyclemens.com. As the author of Life is a Do Over, Cindy has vast experience in helping others create the life they've always dreamed of http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B9ZK03W

You can also sign up for Cindy's newsletter called Food for Thought http://cindyclemens.com/whats-new/. This is a free monthly newsletter with all kinds of goodies designed to keep you inspired, excited and ready to pursue your passions. Here's to you and your next best seller!


Meet Cindy Clemens
After a 15 year career as a trial attorney, Cindy took a do-over and redesigned her life. she now works as a life coach and motivational speaker helping people move from just thinking about improving their lives into actually living a great life, with joy and ease.  Her specialty is blending practical tools with insights and support people need to make life changes and reach their dreams. Find out more at www.cindyclemens.com.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cleaning for a Reason

Celebrating the Winter Solstice

Support for Students