Book Review of John Grisham's Sycamore Row



Let me begin my review of Sycamore Row by stating that I am a big fan of John Grisham, devouring nearly book he's ever written. Sadly, this wasn't the case with Sycamore Row

I think I would be remiss as a reviewer if I failed to express when something didn't meet my expectations. Given the fact that John Grisham penned this book, I had high hopes going in. Unlike other authors, I judge Grisham's books based on my opinions of his other work (which has been almost exclusively good). If I were to hold Sycamore Row up to novels written by other authors, I wouldn't have been nearly as disappointed.

Sycamore Row is sometimes described as a sequel to Grisham's A Time to Kill

Like A Time to Kill, Sycamore Row is a courtroom drama involving a lawyer named Jake Brigance. The story opens with a very intriguing look into the suicide of Seth Hubbard, a wealthy man who, at the last minute, cuts his family out of his will and gives his fortune to his African American housekeeper. Thus begins a very heated court battle. Unfortunately, the plot line fizzles out from there, at least in my mind.

One of the things I admire most about John Grisham is that he takes on the issue of racial discrimination in many of his novels http://www.jgrisham.com/
I appreciate that Grisham is able to make a point about social injustice without getting too preachy. However, some of that was lost on me in Sycamore Row because I thought the plot moved too slowly.

If anyone but John Grisham had written Sycamore Row, it probably would have garnered a higher rating on my GoodReads Page. However, because I think so highly of Grisham's writing, I'm only going to award Sycamore Row two stars because I just didn't think it stacked up to his other work.

Ending on a happy note, I'm looking forward to reading what Grisham comes up with next!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creating an Impressive Web Presence

It Matters Radio

What is Search Engine Optimization?