A Review of A Study in Scarlet by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle


I've long been familiar with the work of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and his infamous character, Sherlock Holmes. What caught me off guard is learning this British author had penned a mystery called A Study in Scarlet which made numerous references to the LDS Church and Brigham Young https://www.amazon.com/Study-Scarlet-Arthur-Conan-Doyle/dp/1599866749

I did a little research and learned this short story was the first Sherlock Holmes mystery. My initial interest was related to the author's references to the Salt Lake Valley and the LDS Church. I was astounded to discover that Brigham Young was named in this story, and portrayed as a bit of a dictator who would smite any opponent or apostate who he viewed as a threat to the community he established in Utah.

The actual plot of A Study in Scarlet involved a man who was seeking revenge against the LDS Church for forcing a young woman into a marriage against her will, and murdering the man who raised her when he tried to object. The killers eventually left the LDS Church and wound up in England. This is where the killer takes his revenge.

Although this story is very old, it still retained my interest, and not just due to the historical ties to Utah. I rewarded A Study in Scarlet three out of five stars on my Goodreads Page

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cleaning for a Reason

Celebrating the Winter Solstice

Celebrating the Day of the Dead