Spooky Books and Audio Books for Halloween


     I'm not going to complain about the 300 days of sunshine we typically get each year in St. George, Utah, but the downside of living in Paradise is that there isn't much of a change of seasons. My favorite time of year is Autumn and I miss the beautiful fall colors I grew up with in my hometown of Boulder, Colorado. To compensate, I have found new ways to celebrate the seasons. Novels and audiobooks are an excellent way to get me in the mood for whatever holiday is on tap.
October is an especially fun month for me, and there are a number of books and audio books to set the tone for a month of thrills and chills. I'd like to share some of my top picks for some spooky October fun:
Practical Magic by Alice Hoffman. I read this book with the enthusiasm I normally reserve for Halloween candy. The setting, tone and delivery kept me turning pages long after I should have been turning out the lights for sleep. I also loved the movie version of Practical Magic which starred Sandra Bullock and Nicole Kidman.
The Worst/Best Halloween Ever by Barbara Robinson. The crazy Herdman Family is back, this time pulling Halloween pranks and creating chaos at the Woodrow Wilson School. Fans of The Worst Christmas Pageant Ever will love this young adult reader.
The Witching Hour by Ann Rice. I didn't want this lengthy novel to end. Rice hooks her readers with an extensive history of the Mayfair Witches. Set in New Orleans, The Witching Hour captivated my attention with rich details and an intriguing plot.
Right now, I'm listening to the audio book version of Shadow of Night, the sequel to A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness. Thanks to all the wonderful writers who are doing their best to delight me this Halloween season!  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cleaning for a Reason

Celebrating the Winter Solstice

Support for Students